Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Thing 22: Audiobooks

Our library system's access to e-books and audiobooks is really marvelous, and has gotten much more user friendly over the years. The addition of more titles that are iPod compatible and the ability to download directly to your MP3 player is a great improvement. I looked at Overdrive and NetLibrary, and I only wish more "hot" titles were available. I couldn't find any Rick Riordan or J.K. Rowling books, for example, but Anthony Horowitz was available. So, it's a nice perk, but will not necessarily fit the bill for when a patron wants a particular book on CD and it's not on the shelf.

Whenever I or my colleagues talk about the e audiobooks, patrons are most often surprised and pleased to hear about it. They are very often not aware of the service, and hopefully they are taking advantage of it once they learn more about it. Perhaps more of a p.r. campaign to highlight downloadable and e-books is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment